Thursday 30 July 2015

I just might know you

Dear, Y.O.U.
Where do I begin? It seems like just yesterday when I first got to know of your existence. Do you remember when it all started? Well, here’s what it all happened, from my perspective. I don’t exactly remember why I decided to try online dating. Was it because I was bored? Was it because I wanted to try something new? Or was it because I grew tired of being alone all the time? Whatever it was, that was the past and I’d like to focus on now and possibly, the future. Anyways, I clicked “Sign Up”, put in some basic information about me, validate my account and that’s it, I have a profile page! Looked through the system and see how well it fit my needs or whatnot. At the homepage is says “Near You”. So I was scrolling through a bunch of profiles. There were a few that intrigue me. I checked out their profiles; drop by some “Hi”s. As I was doing all that, I came across your profile. Not only that you and I had the highest percentage for a match but within that few seconds reading what I felt like an essay for an “About Me” section, your looks wasn’t just the only thing that made me wanted to say more than Hi. I guess, in some ways, you mesmerized me. I didn’t think that online dating could have effect on me like that, or at least that fast. You actually made me nervous and rethink whether I should even send you a message. Hesitantly I said hey and made some comments on how we have a lot of things in common. I ended by asking if you would like to be friends. So I send it, hoping that you replied. Two weeks passed and I still didn’t get your reply. After a while, I didn’t felt the need to constantly check on my profile as I have other things more important to do. One day, randomly decided to log on and I saw the number 7 on the message icon. Friend requests, messages from people I don’t want to associate with and I stopped at the last one. I think I shrieked a little when I saw your name. You replied! You actually replied. My palms were sweating so badly. You said you would love to be friends and would like to chat more. We didn’t quite have many conversations as you mentioned that you only logged on once in a while. So I suggested that you add me in a chatting app that at that point was the top 5 apps to use. Do you know it’s because of you that I became “active” in something I didn’t really bother to use? You said you would add me. So I waited, and waited, and waited. Few weeks passed and you still didn’t. My heart broke a little. I dropped you a message and waited. For a while I gave up. I didn’t spend my time wandering why you didn’t reply or hoping you would. I was occupied with the things in my life. It’s almost a year and I sit here at the coffee shop just looking at people passing by. A thought just came to me. What if at some point of my life I have passed by you not knowing that were you? I mean, the world is so small and I have bummed into people at the most random of places. What are the chances of actually meeting you? For all I know, we’ve could have been at the same restaurant, the same cinema or even the same train line. As much as it doesn’t bother me anymore but what if, maybe, possibly, that I have, at one point, met you?

Yours truly,
Person you’ve never met.

I wrote this earlier this year. I know there is probably some grammar mistakes but I intended it to be more like a conversation than an essay.  I got to thinking. We passed by so many people in a day. What if there is a possibility of one day being friends with a random stranger that passed by you few months back? I've been in many situations such as that and I hope to come up with a series about that. Would love some feedback.

Have a nice day and thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment